Product planning and marketing are both the responsibility of the product manager. Delivering winning products entails managing the product across the product lifecycle, gathering and prioritizing product and customer needs, creating the product vision, and collaborating closely with engineering.
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an Indian multinational information technology (IT) services and consulting firm based in Mumbai, Maharashtra, with its main campus in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. TCS is the world's largest IT services firm by market capitalization ($200 billion) as of February 2021. It is a Tata Group business with operations in 149 locations in 46 countries.
Role and responsibility
- Work with business teams to define requirements for evolving application solutions.
- Plan and manage sprints of Agile development and high-level application requirements and sprint demonstrations.
- Evaluate current business processes across all application tracks to see if they can be automated.
- For all application releases, prepare, review, and approve the product requirements, including the functional and non-functional specifications (including security and performance).
- Manage the change management process, which includes conducting an impact assessment on the application suite, ensuring the documentation for change requests is complete, and collaborating with the development teams to implement the changes.
- Develop functional requirement specifications and change request documentation.
- Collaborate with the development teams to implement features, change requests, and defect fixes.
- Identify high-level business scenarios for the test team to automate test cases based on.
- 8+ years of product management experience.
- A track record of creating outstanding products that satisfy your users while also having a significant business impact.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in a variety of areas, including product, engineering, finance, compliance, and support. Ability to effectively prioritize and influence big cross-functional efforts.
- Experience in collecting and prioritizing internal and external customer feedback and requests, empathizing with their difficulties and opportunities, and prioritizing roadmaps to maximize results.
TCS Product Manager salary
Product Manager salaries at Tata Consultancy Services can range from ₹3,33,000-63,42,471 per year.
Interview Process Overview
Usually, the interview process for the Product Manager role at TCS consists of 3–4 rounds as below:
This round will be conducted by your department head. In this round, you'll be asked some basic questions about yourself and your job history in this round. In this round, you could be asked anything, so keep your wits about you. The questions can take on a personal tone, so be comfortable in your skin. This round can take place in person or over the internet.
- What are your life goals?
- What is something interesting about you that you haven't mentioned yet?
- What makes you want to join TCS?
- What makes you the right candidate for the job?
- Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond?
- How will you cope if your team leader does not give you enough credit for your work and constantly complains that you are not working, even when you are?
- Tell me a little about your family.
- How would you describe your role models?
Expect extensive questions based on your CV on the technology mentioned, projects you've worked on, and so on throughout this round. Prepare to write simple programs. So prepare thoroughly for two languages or technologies so that you can address advanced queries in those areas. This round will last between 40 and 45 minutes.
- Explain to a 7-year-old what a technical product manager does.
- Are there any aspects of product management that you find exciting?
- Tell me about a product that you love.
- What is it about our product (s) that excites you?
- What technical skills do you have that set you apart?
- What is it about our product that you would change? (Or any favorite product)
- How would you deal with a technical hiccup?
- How to retrieve the matching characters in a string?
- Calculate the number of vowels and consonants in a string?
- How can you prove that two strings are anagrams?
Practice for free with other Product Manager candidates→ Schedule a session
Throughout this round, you can expect a lot of questions based on your CV, projects you've worked on, and so forth. Make sure you're ready to build simple programs. Prepare thoroughly for two languages or technologies so you can respond to complex questions in those areas. The duration of this round will be between 40 and 45 minutes.
- Tell me a little about yourself.
- What made you decide to pursue a career as an engineer?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Tell us something about your extracurricular activities.
- What is more important to you, money or work?
- Are you willing to work on weekends, nights, and overtime?
- Are you open to the idea of relocating?
- What do you know about the latest IT industry trends?