Flipkart Product Manager
Interview Guide Nov 06
Nov 067-8 interview across 2 phases rounds
The role of a Flipkart Product Manager
Product managers identify customer needs and larger business objectives. They articulate what success looks like for a given product, and motivate their teams to turn that into reality. Product managers assess business conditions, manage product development, and decide on product functionality. Making decisions is one aspect of a PM's job that complicates it. This type of interview covers many subjects and has many questions, making it challenging.
Flipkart is an e-commerce platform in India that provides an online marketplace for consumers to buy products such as books, DVDs, media, electronics, lifestyle items, and personal care products. Products determine the success of a company.
Role and responsibility
- Manage a key product/business area's strategy and roadmap.
- Management of all aspects of software development and product life cycles, including product strategy and design, customer insights, and requirements definition.
- Together with other business leaders, create a substantial customer experience in each category.
- Defining the product acceptance testing criteria and making sure that they are met; ensuring the product (and features) is used appropriately by operations and the BD team; resolving any problems raised by stakeholders during operationalization.
- Create high-performing teams, and act as a trusted adviser, coach, or guide.
Flipkart Product Manager Salary
Flipkart's Product Manager's average salary ranges between INR 30,00,000 to INR 35,00,000 per annum.
Usually, the interview process for the Product Manager role at Flipkart consists of 7-8 rounds under 2 phases:
- Exploratory Discussion
- Technical Phone Screen
- Problem Solving
- Product Thinking
- Business Understanding
- Engineering Understanding
- Team Fit
- Culture Fit
It is at this stage that you will interact with a potential Hiring Manager. Your recruiter will arrange an exploratory conversation as soon as your CV is shortlisted. This round aims to understand what you've done in the past, what you expect of the future, and what you're looking forward to. This round is usually conducted over the phone.
What the interviewer will assess
- Your background and past experience
- Whether you are the right fit
- Your passion for the role
- Your eligibility
- Make the most of this opportunity to ask as many questions as possible to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the job.
- Be sure that you know the role offered in detail, including the charter, scope, and kind of work involved.
- Discuss your eligibility, your aspirations, and any concerns you might have in a constructive and open manner.
- Is there a product you like the most? Do you have a particular reason?
- Which of your greatest achievements are you most proud of?
- At Flipkart, it's important to fit into the culture. In 5 words, describe your personality.
Watch these videos
Technical Phone Screen
In most of the interview sessions following the above, you will have a 30-minute phone interview with a potential peer before you come for an onsite interview. In this round, you'll be asked a few questions about the role you are applying for and your past work experience. The interview will take place over the phone.
(You might or might not have this interview round, depending on your hiring team's collective decision)
What the interviewer will assess
- Your inclusive nature and ability to work well with others.
- Your efficiency in providing solutions.
- The ability to analyze data objectively and clearly.
- The domain knowledge and PM skills you possess.
- Please include opinions and ideas in your responses. There is a constant need for innovative thinkers at Flipkart. Just be careful to clarify how you will put the ideas into practice.
- Be sure to emphasize your commitment to customer satisfaction. Product managers are responsible for keeping consumers satisfied with their products or services. In the end, show that you appreciate customer service.
- Can you suggest something that Flipkart can do better?
- Can you discuss a skill that is not mentioned in your resume?
- Please mention your past experience and major projects you have worked on.
- Mention some of your strengths and weaknesses.
Read these articles
During the interview, you will also be evaluated on your structured thinking skills, your comfort with numbers and metrics, as well as your problem-solving skills.
A problem statement from any sector or domain can be given to you and you will be assessed based on how you analyze and break down a real-world issue into smaller, deeper areas using structured thinking and frameworks.
- Before jumping to a conclusion, internalize the problem statement.
- Make sure you have a clear understanding of the problem/question.
- Don't hesitate to ask questions if the terms used by the interviewer are not familiar to you.
- Problems do not need to be solved immediately. Consider carefully, ask clarifying questions, and use a whiteboard if you need to make structures or take notes.
- Guesstimate number of potholes in Bangalore.
- What is the best way to increase engagement on Flipkart?
- Which three metrics will you track the most as the Chief Product Officer for this product?
In this round, you will be evaluated on your customer empathy and orientation, your vision and strategy, and your roadmap. Your interviewer will ask you to develop a product strategy and roadmap for a problem statement. The problem will likely be vague. Hence, it is important to understand the purpose of a product so you can design a solution around the correct customer problem.
- Discuss product strategy and roadmap with a view to understanding and empathizing with customers.
- Often questions will revolve around the consumer internet domain - cab aggregators, online ticketing, content streaming, and e-commerce. Knowledge of these domains will prove useful.
- In order to come up with good solutions, it is imperative to know the "why" of the problem statement and who its "customers" are.
- Always think long-term before coming up with v0 or v1 versions of your solution.
- How would you launch a “Groceries” product on Flipkart?
- From a product philosophy perspective, what makes Netflix different from YouTube?
- Enhance Flipkart's delivery speed by developing a product solution.
- Do you have a favorite product? What feature enhancement would you like to see added to it?
- ekart is thinking of entering into the 'courier' business and how as a product manager would you go about this proposition.
Get a mock interview with a recruiter from Flipkart→ Schedule Now
Product Managers at Flipkart need to be aware of the Business Function. When you advance, you should be familiar with business strategies and contribute to them. The job of a Product Manager at Flipkart is to have a clear understanding of, both, short-term and long-term business goals, and add them to product roadmaps. In this round Interviewers will ask you about business strategy, the competitive landscape, and your previous work experiences. In some cases, the interviewer may ask you to come up with solutions to a business problem that comes from another domain.
- Describe the ad tech market - the key players, what drives customer loyalty, what is a revenue model, and where are the profit pools.
- Is it possible to measure selection gaps on Flipkart, and if so, how can you solve this issue?
- I would like to hear what you think about the future of e-commerce and payments in India.
- Do you suggest any new e-commerce on entering the Indian market? If so, what should its strategy be?
The purpose of this round is to understand your past experience and level of understanding of engineering implementations.
What the interviewer will assess
During the interview, you will be asked questions about a few engineering calls and why certain decisions were made. As part of the interview, the interviewer will be looking out for traits that engineers admire in Product Managers.
Some of these traits are:
1) Vision, strategy, and long-term planning: Strategic plans provide a framework for making decisions and provide a basis for planning. By setting goals and measuring accomplishments, a strategic plan can assist a company in keeping on track.
2) A balance between tech hygiene and functional growth
3) Understanding of PDLC and SDLC practices: In general, PDLC entails bringing new products to market and often includes business units. Alternatively, SDLC is described as a process for developing a particular software product. An SDLC is typically used to solve a specific software problem.
- Make sure you're familiar with SDLC/PDLC basics before taking the interview.
- Understand the system design of the products you have worked on in your career, what tradeoffs and critical decisions were taken during their development, and why.
- In what ways does the engineering team typically face challenges?
- Create a Google Photos-equivalent product that can be backed up on mobile devices and the web. Provide a visual representation of your product.
- Identify the data flow and interactions for the last product you worked on while creating a system diagram.
- How do platforms, products, and features differ?
- What is your approach to prioritizing tech debt, defects, and functional improvements?
- Create a system to shorten URLs from end to end.
Book a mock interview session with a Flipkart Product Manager Expert.→ Book Now!
During this round, your team fit will be evaluated based on your experience, interests, and strengths demonstrated during previous rounds. You'll be communicating with your potential supervisor or the hiring manager, who will try to get to know you better in order to make an informed decision about hiring you.
What the interviewer will assess
Your interviewer wants to learn about your aspirations, inspirations and motivations, self-awareness, leadership ability, stakeholder management, strengths, and weaknesses.
As part of this round, you will be assessed based on your cultural fit with Flipkart. The purpose of the round is to determine whether you are a good fit for Flipsters.
- Find out what makes you a good match for Flipkart by reading their values.
- Don't be afraid to admit your failures and successes.