Interview Guide Feb 25
Feb 252-3 rounds
The primary work of a data engineer is to create systems for gathering, handling, and transforming unprocessed/ raw data into information. The data scientists and business analysts may use it to evaluate in several contexts. Their ultimate objective is to open up data so businesses can use it to assess and improve their performance.
Walmart is an American Multinational Corporation running a chain of retail hypermarkets across the globe on-site and online. It runs discount stores, super stores, online stores, and neighborhood markets.
Walmart hires data engineers to shape its future in retail by digging deep into retail data and creating data pipelines for data scientists and analysts.
You can apply for the Walmart Data Engineer job on the career page of Walmart.com. But before doing so, ensure you have an impressive resume ready to increase the chances of getting the much-awaited call.
Get your resume reviewed by a Walmart recruiter→ Review Resume
- Build data sets from complicated multi-platform systems (both cloud and on-prem) that integrate various, massive scale internal and external data sources using contemporary data intake and integration approaches.
- Create data pipelines that are highly accurate, instrumented, scalable, and performant.
- To address and improve complicated computer performance difficulties, combine a sense of urgency with comprehensive knowledge of data engineering practice.
- Monitor and analyze data performance, quality, and cost; identify, create, and implement improvements in these areas.
- Create systems to evaluate and filter continuous data flows while aiming for ever-lower latency so that the models the data scientists and analysts create can represent the current state of our business.
- Create dashboards to continuously monitor system performance and operational metrics after defining those parameters.
- Keep meticulous and well-written records.
- Work closely with the development team and other team members to discuss how your project is coming along.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in computer science or a closely related technical discipline
- Python object-oriented programming experience ranging from three to six years minimum.
- 3-6 years of expertise designing large-scale data pipelines using big data technologies, such as Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, Hadoop, Hive, Presto, and Airflow.
- 3 to 6 years of expertise in distributed systems, algorithms, and design
- Experience in file movement, data transformation, and Azure Data Factory with Databricks.
- Experience with Azure Databricks, Database, ADLS, and GCS.
- Knowledge of PySpark, Parquet, and Python Framework Development.
- Good Azure DevOps and its interaction with Databricks and Data Factory
- Strong familiarity with on-premises big data technology
- Familiarity with Azure Synapse or GBQ.
The average base salary for a Data Engineer at Walmart is between $108,790 to $1,78,000.
The interview process for the Walmart Data Engineer role consists of 2 stages:
- One-on-One Round
- Technical Round
Here's a detailed description of the interview process, some interview tips, and the Walmart data engineer interview questions.
The initial round will be with the hiring manager. Most of the questions will be about your current project and how you handle difficult situations.
- Describe a situation where you planned something, but due to other problems, you have to adjust.
- Elaborate on a situation where you had to change your behavior according to the situation.
- Describe an experience of working as part of a team.
- Has there ever been a situation where you have been the first initiative taker?
- Tell me about your interests.
- Why do you want to work with Walmart?
- What are your expectations from Walmart?
Watch these videos
In this round, the most commonly tested skills are in Algorithms, Python, and SQL. In this round, you will be tested on your technical skills.
- Prepare by learning about the e-commerce and retail industry and the common issues that exist there nowadays.
- Avoid last-minute preparation and start early.
- Prepare thoroughly for everything listed on your resume, particularly the 3rd year intern position and any extra projects.
- Once your resume is ready, don't forget to ask your seniors and some of your wingmates for their opinions. Learn the distinctions between resumes for core and non-core profiles as well.
- We're given two tables, a user table with demographic information and the neighborhood they live in and a neighborhood table. Write a query that returns all neighborhoods that have 0 users.
- Write a query to identify customers who placed more than three transactions in 2019 and 2020.
- Given an array, print the Next Greater Element (NGE) for every Element. The Next greater Element for an element x is the first greater Element on the right side of x in the array. For elements for which no greater element exists, consider the next greater Element as -1.
- Given an array of n elements, where each Element is at most k away from its target position, devise an algorithm that sorts in O(n log k) time. For example, let us consider k is 2, an element at index 7 in the sorted array, which can be at indexes 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 in the given array.