Data is the primary driving force behind all the tech giants, and for Spotify, the situation is pretty much the same. Data scientists are responsible for analyzing and transforming vast chunks of data into meaningful and actionable insights to meet the customers' needs. These individuals help in the collection, collaboration, development, analysis, maintenance, and testing of the data systems to make considerable improvements.
Spotify Data Scientists are expected to develop a good understanding of simple databases and proper knowledge of the programming languages like Python and SQL. In addition, they need to carry an insight of working on different algorithms, data concepts, and structures while working in the Spotify Data Scientist job.
How to Apply for Spotify Data Scientist Job?
Job openings for this role can be found on lifeatspotify.com and Linkedin. Before applying for the job, opt for the resume review service at Prepfully; it facilitates an expert to review your resume/ CV. The expert gives suggestions or advice so that your CV is job ready. This increases the chances of resume selection, getting you closer to that much-awaited phone call!
Role of a Data Scientist at Spotify
- Work closely with user researchers, data scientists, product managers, engineers, and designers.
- Establish measurement plans, success metrics, and measurements in close coordination with partners and contributing teams.
- Analysis of enormous data systems and qualities to extract insightful information that can help drive product and business decisions.
- Develop and facilitate experimentation on as well as off platforms.
- Communicate recommendations and insights through clear presentations and effective visualization.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar role related to data science.
- Degree in computer studies, science, statistics, mathematics, economics, or other similar quantitative fields.
- Technical competence for performing analytics on datasets
- Coding skills such as R or Python and Database knowledge such as SQL.
- Statistical competence like A/B Testing, Significance Testing, Regressions Modeling, etc.
- Familiarity with qualitative methods of research
There are three rounds in the Spotify Data Scientist interview process:
- Round 1: Recruiter Phone Screening:
This round includes a brief discussion about the experiences and the roles you've had in the past company.
- Round 2: Technical Phone Screening:
Trivia questions will be asked based on data science concepts and SQL and Python-related concepts.
- Round 3: Onsite round:
There are four different interviews in this round:
- Programming Test
- System Design
- Cultural Fit or the Behavioral Round
- Data Interview
This will be a 30-minute phone call, and the interview questions asked by Spotify recruiters are non-technical. The main objective of this round is to see if the role matches your credibility. There will be some informal discussions about your experiences and skills.
Here is a pro tip. When asked the question "Tell me about yourself," make sure to add some relevant yet recent experience that can highlight your skillset.
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to join Spotify?
- Why do you think you will be a good fit for the company?
- What responsibilities do you expect to have from your job at Spotify?
This is the video call interview and the second round, which lasts about 1 hour. You will have a discussion with two developers from Spotify. There will be some technical questions related to CS and Data Science concepts, along with some coding problems and questions related to Python and SQL. It may also encompass questions related to work and experience, along with other technical interview questions.
- Why do you want a career in Data Science?
- What was your experience working with programming languages such as Python?
- How can you delete a linked list properly?
- In your previous projects, did you feel there was room for improvement?
- When given an order table, mention the SQL queries to get the output.
This is the final round of the interview process. This detailed interview round consists of 4 sub-interviews which are mentioned below:
- Programming Test
It is a coding test comprising different data structure problems. The other questions are on memory management, data analysis, etc.
- System Design
In this section, you will have to design a large-scale system properly, and your interviewer will examine the train of thoughts. You will also be tested regarding your knowledge of SQL, so include those concepts in your job interview practice.
- Cultural Fit (Behavioral Round)
This interview round revolves around an in-depth discussion about the experiences you have had. Be prepared to tackle some technical questions about your past projects and accomplishments.
- Data Interview
There will be some general data-related as well as coding questions. These questions could be asked from different concepts of Data science, statistics, SQL, Python, and more.
- How can you detect anomalous behavior?
- How would you create a music recommendation software?
- Given an integer N, write a Python function that returns all prime numbers up to N.
System Design -
- Given a table of product subscriptions with a subscription start date and end date for each user, write a query that returns true or false whether or not each user has a subscription date range that overlaps with any other completed subscription.
Behavioral Round -
- Describe one of your research projects and its impact on the company.
- How have you managed to use data in your process of design?
- Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a client.
Data Interview -
- What is the difference between integration testing and unit testing?
- What is selection bias?
- What causes Data skewing?
To get more interview questions asked during the Spotify Data Scientist Interview click here.
Practice with more such questions, and you should be able to excel in your interview for a Spotify Data Scientist job. It is essential to make sure that you are authentic and genuine with your answers. Although the role of a Spotify Data Scientist is relatively technical, make sure to give those personality-based answers creatively. Here are a few things you can keep in mind-
- Be clear with your technical knowledge required for the Spotify data scientist role. If you are undergoing the technical screen interview, ensure you have practiced well in advance.
- Read some case studies related to data exploration and visualization analysis.
- Get familiar with all the technical terms used while working for the role.
- Prepare to answer by showcasing your analytical skills and presenting a well-researched answer.
If all goes well and interviewers are satisfied with your overall presentation and knowledge, you will be contacted soon for further discussion on the offer.