Interview Guide May 02
May 023 rounds
As a Walmart Software Engineer, you would play a critical role in developing and maintaining the software systems that power Walmart's business. This includes working on everything from e-commerce platforms to supply chain management tools, as well as developing solutions that optimize the customer experience and improve the company's operational efficiency.
Some specific responsibilities of a Walmart Software Engineer might include developing and testing software solutions, participating in code reviews, identifying and fixing bugs, and communicating with stakeholders to gather requirements and provide status updates. You may also have opportunities to lead projects or mentor junior team members.
Walmart provides a diverse range of software engineering positions across different business areas, including common positions like Software Engineer and Senior Software Engineer. As a Software Engineer, you will design and develop software systems to support business operations, such as e-commerce platforms, supply chain management, or customer analytics, and work in diverse teams to deliver high-quality software solutions. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will lead the design and development of software systems critical to Walmart's business operations, mentor junior engineers, and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to deliver high-quality solutions.
These positions work in various teams such as e-commerce, supply chain management, data science, information security, and customer analytics. Walmart also has an Innovation Labs team that works on emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and blockchain. The teams are collaborative and work together to deliver innovative and high-quality solutions that drive business growth.
How to Apply for a Software Engineer Job at Walmart?
Check out Walmart’s career page and browse through the Software Engineer job listings. When you find a role that interests you, be sure to read through the job requirements and qualifications carefully to ensure you meet the criteria. If you have any connections within the company, consider reaching out to them for a referral as it highly increases your chance. When you apply, make sure to tailor your resume to align with the qualifications listed in the job posting. This will help you stand out from other applicants. And if you need help with customizing your resume specifically for Walmart (or for that matter, any other company), Prepfully provides resume review services by experienced recruiters in your target company that can give you feedback on your resume. It's worth noting that the application process may vary depending on the position and location, and the company may conduct additional assessments or interviews as part of the selection process.
As a part of the Walmart Software Engineer interview, you will need to go through multiple interview rounds. The interview process and questions may differ for different positions and roles.
1. Recruiter Screen - In the initial screening stage, the recruiter will ask general questions about your background and provide an overview of the interview process.
2. Second Round of Interviews - The second round consists of multiple interview rounds, each focusing on different aspects of your skills and experience.
3. Final Interview Round - The final round consists of two interview rounds: System Design and Behavioral.
In the initial screening stage, the recruiter will ask general questions about your background and provide an overview of the interview process. The interviewer will ask questions related to your technical skills and experience with relevant programming languages, tools, and technologies. They may ask you to describe specific projects or applications you have developed in the past and the role you played in them. They may also ask you about your experience with agile methodologies, software development life cycle, and other industry-standard practices.
- Why do you want to join Walmart?
- Why do you think you will be a good fit for the role?
- How many years of experience do you have in SE roles?
- What are you passionate about?
Watch these videos
The second round consists of multiple interview rounds, each focusing on different aspects of your skills and experience. The interviewer will provide an overview of the rounds and answer any questions you may have. You can expect one or more of the following rounds:
- DSA Round: The interviewer will ask questions related to data structures and algorithms, such as array manipulation, string manipulation, and searching and sorting algorithms. They also ask you to solve coding problems related to linked lists or other specific data structures. Additionally, they may ask you to solve some basic math questions related to your role.
- Pair Programming Task: This round will involve a pair programming task, where you will work with another interviewer or a Walmart engineer to solve a coding challenge. You can choose any programming language you are comfortable with, and the challenge will be a medium-level LeetCode algorithm question. The interview will take place on a third-party service called Karat, where you will share a screen with your partner and work together to solve the problem.
- Technical Round: This round will focus on the technical skills specific to your role. For example, if you are applying for a frontend engineer role, the interviewer may ask you questions related to HTML, CSS, and React. The questions may involve real-world scenarios and require you to explain your thought process and decision-making.
- Explain the time complexity of a binary search algorithm?
- Describe the difference between a stack and a queue, and when you might use one over the other?
- How would you implement a linked list in your preferred programming language?
- Explain the difference between merge sort and quicksort, and when you might use one over the other?
- How would you go about finding the middle node of a linked list?
- Explain the difference between HTML and XHTML?
- How would you optimize a website's load time?
- Describe the box model in CSS and how it affects layout?
- How would you implement a responsive design on a website?
- Explain how you would use React to build a dynamic user interface?
Get a mock interview with a recruiter at Walmart→ Schedule Now
Read these articles
The final round consists of two interview rounds: System Design and Behavioral.
- System Design Round: The System Design interview will be conducted by a Principal Engineer or an experienced member of the engineering team. The interviewer will ask technical questions related to the projects you have worked on in the past and how you approached designing complex software systems.
- Behavioral Round: The Behavioral Interview will be conducted by an HR representative or a member of the management team. The interviewer will ask typical behavioral questions related to the company principles and values. You will be asked about your teamwork and collaboration skills, as well as your approach to problem-solving and decision-making. The interviewer may also ask about your career goals and how you plan to grow and develop as a software engineer.
- Can you describe a complex software system you designed in the past, including the technical challenges you faced and how you addressed them?
- How do you approach problem-solving when designing a software system?
- Can you walk me through the architecture of a software system you recently worked on?
- How do you prioritize technical trade-offs when designing a software system?
- How do you approach communication with team members and stakeholders when working on a project?
- Describe a time when you had to take initiative and lead a project or team?
When you are preparing for a Walmart Software Engineer Interview - we’d recommend keeping these things in mind:
- Research the company and the role beforehand so that you can confidently answer questions about why you want to join Walmart and why you think you would be a good fit for the role. Check out the purpose page of Walmart.
- Be prepared to discuss your technical skills and experience with relevant programming languages, tools, and technologies. Provide specific examples of projects or applications you have developed and your role in them.
- Be prepared to demonstrate your problem-solving skills and technical knowledge in the DSA and technical rounds. Practice coding problems related to data structures and algorithms, as well as questions related to the specific technical skills required for your role.
- For the pair programming task, make sure you are comfortable with the programming language you choose and practice solving medium-level LeetCode algorithm questions with a partner.
- When answering questions in the technical round, explain your thought process and decision-making clearly, and provide real-world scenarios to support your answers.
- For the System Design round, be prepared to discuss a complex software system you designed in the past, including the technical challenges you faced and how you addressed them. Practice explaining the architecture of a software system you recently worked on and how you prioritize technical trade-offs when designing a software system.
- For the Behavioral round, be prepared to answer questions in the STAR format with detailed data and numbers. Provide examples of your teamwork and collaboration skills, as well as your approach to problem-solving and decision-making.
Responsibilities of a Software Engineer at Walmart
The responsibilities of a Software Engineer at Walmart across roles can broadly be seen as-
- Design and develop reliable and scalable web applications using the latest web technologies and frameworks. For instance, you might use React, Angular, or Vue.js to create a fast and responsive user interface, or Node.js or Django to build a scalable and efficient back-end system that handles high traffic volume.
- Participate in technical discussions with cross functional teams for analyzing business requirements and proposing an appropriate functional and technical solution.
- Optimize software systems and designs to improve performance and scalability. For example, you might identify and fix bottlenecks in the code that slow down the application, or refactor the architecture to make it more modular and flexible.
- Prepare high level and low-level design documentations, engineering architecture designs using Agile methodology.
- Implement monitoring and alerting systems to track the application.
- Troubleshoot business and production issues by gathering information. (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause)
Skills and Qualifications needed for Software Engineers at Walmart
Here are some skills and qualifications that will help you excel in your Software Engineering interviews at Walmart. One thing to note here is that the degree qualification is different for every role.
- It's beneficial to have at least 3+ years of experience in Software Engineering roles, which can help you stand out from other candidates.
- Experience developing new Windows applications and fixing existing Windows applications using .Net, C#, T-SQL, PL/SQL, LINQ, ADO.NET, WPF, and WinForms.
- Developing new web applications and fixing existing web applications using Asp.Net, MVC, WCF, jQuery, HTML, REST, Web API, ReactJS, and NodeJS.
- To ensure that your database is performing optimally, you can create DB objects and improve their performance using Microsoft SQL Database Server, ETL, SSIS, DB2, Teradata, and Informix. You can design and develop robust data models, write efficient queries, and optimize the database for speed and scalability.
While these are examples of what Walmart lists in its job descriptions - it's pretty rare for them to actually test candidates across all of them in an interview. So if you have a solid grasp of programming fundamentals; and for some roles system design - you should be sorted.
It's important to keep in mind that this list is not exhaustive, and the requirements and qualifications may vary depending on the position and location. It's always best to check the job description and requirements on the Walmart's Career page before you apply for the role.
The average salary for a Software Engineer at Walmart is around $125,000 per year, with a range of $75,000 to $185,000 per year depending on experience and other factors. It's important to note that salaries can vary based on a number of factors such as location, specific job responsibilities, and level of experience.
The interview process for a Software Engineer role at Walmart typically includes 3 primary rounds - a recruiter screen, second round of interviews, and the final interview round to conclude. In the initial screening stage, the recruiter will ask general questions about your background and provide an overview of the interview process. The second primary round consists of multiple interview rounds, each focusing on different aspects of your skills and experience. The final primary round consists of two interview rounds: System Design and Behavioral.