Hundreds of lines of code are sent out by Netflix developers every day. New product additions, content distribution, and service algorithmic enhancements are the outcome of their work. The Netflix tech stack is created, built, tested, deployed, streamed, and monitored by Core Engineering, which is made up of various Netflix teams.
Role and responsibility
- The key responsibility will be to develop the platform and data abstraction so that Netflix's client base can be grown further.
- Work on high-performance proxies and caching while communicating with distributed data storage will be expected of the software development engineer.
- Netflix Software Development Engineers will work on things like improving the JS/CSS asset compiler, optimizing network speed with HTTP/2, and creating a logging library for UI clients, among other things.
- Work on gauging and fine-tuning the output.
- The ability to understand complex technical information
- Analyzing business requirements and assessing impact within the current database architecture
- A good understanding of research
- Experience in developing software
- Working knowledge of source code and version control
- Familiarity with UI frameworks and toolkits
Netflix Software Engineer salary
Average Compensation by level:
Entry Level new Grad Software Engineer: $268k (Base-$246k + Bonus-$22k)
Senior Software Engineer: $550k (Base-$543k + Bonus-$1k)
Interview Process Overview
Usually, the interview process for the software engineer role at Netflix consists of 3–4 rounds, as below:
- Initial phone screen
- Technical phone screen
If your resume is shortlisted, the Netflix hiring manager will contact you to schedule the initial phone screen. Here, you will be evaluated only based on cultural fit. Also, go through their culture memo.
Make sure you've read everything on their website. Also, go through their culture memo. Netflix will ask you a variety of cultural questions based on their website's culture section.
- What kind of work atmosphere makes you the most productive and content?
- What words would your former coworkers use to characterize your work style?
- What type of leadership inspires you to accomplish your best work?
- What role are you most likely to play in a group setting?
Next, a phone interview will take place to check your technical knowledge, wherein you can expect some problems on data structures and algorithms, or an assignment related to a Netflix use case. You can expect a few behavioral questions as well. An engineer will conduct the interview.
Netflix Interview Questions on Data Structure and Algorithms
- Is binary search a tree?
- How would you find the minimum spanning tree of a connected, undirected graph with weighted edges?
- How would you reverse the words in a sentence?
- How would you reverse a linked list using temporary variables?
- How would you determine if the sum of three integers is equal to a given value?
Netflix Python Interview Questions
- What do you mean by pickling and unpickling in Python?
- If you wanted to comment on multiple lines in Python, how would you do that?
- What do you mean by docStrings?
- What happens to memory whenever a python exists?
- Why do we use negative indexes in Python?
- What is the difference between deep and shallow copy?
- What do you mean by the term "monkey patching"?
- Which is better: Django or Python? Why?
Netflix JAVA Interview Questions
- Can you perform multiple inheritance in Java? Justify your answer.
- Why can you not declare Wait and Notify in the Object class but not in the Thread?
- If you have to store passwords, which data structure will you choose?
- Explain operator overloading.
Netflix Design Interview Questions
- Design for Google Drive.
- Design Web crawler.
- Design Airbnb.
- Design an API rate limiter.
- Design an URL shortener.
- Design Netflix.
Practice more such questions with a Netflix Software Engineer→ Book Now!
There can be two separate onsite interviews. One will have four technical interviews and a final HR interview. You will be asked questions about data structures and algorithms, object-oriented programming and If the feedback from these interviews is good, then the second onsite interview will be with two engineering directors; these interviews will take 45 minutes each.
Be precise and delivery-driven—show them what you have done, and tailor it to the position’s job description.
- Write a code to find the deepest node in a binary tree.
- What is MapReduce?
- What is a bipartite graph?
- How many ways are there to handle exceptions in Java?
- Why is the yield method used in the thread class?
- What did you think of our culture document?
- Tell me about your past work experience and how you can make it better at Netflix.
In this round, skills like leadership, team management, creativity, and innovation will be tested. If you are joining for a senior position, you are expected to have skills like mentoring, team handling, team building, problem-solving, project management, etc. And, if you are joining as a fresher or mid-level, you have to have problem-solving skills, good time management, and you have to be a team player.
- How do you handle extreme stress in the workplace?
- How will you lead a team?
- How will you ensure that the project gets delivered on time?
- Would you be comfortable if we talked with your previous project manager?
- How would you add to our cultural values at Netflix?
- Would you prefer to work alone or in a team?
- What exactly does "good customer service" mean to you?
- How do you think that you can gain the trust of your clients?
- Have you ever had to say "no" to a client?