Meta Engineering Manager
Interview Guide Feb 25
Feb 253 rounds
The role of a Meta Engineering Manager
The American International Technological Corporation Meta Platforms Inc., doing business as Meta and formerly known as Facebook Inc., is based in Menlo Park, California. The firm, among other things, is the owner of Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp. Meta develops tools to facilitate connections, community discovery, and business expansion.
Engineering managers create, maintain, and develop projects focused on cutting-edge, user-friendly software that supports supply chain management, finance, sales, marketing, e-commerce, and security corporate operations.
You can apply for the Meta Engineering Manager job on the career page of Meta.com or get a credible internal employee to refer you through Prepfully's Company Referral service, available here.
Role of an Engineering Manager at Meta
- Initiate and oversee the technical development of creative enterprise software to simplify and automate essential business operations with a team of engineers and product managers.
- Provide strategic and operational guidance for creating enterprise and other software products.
- Develop both short- and long-term initiatives in close collaboration with corporate executives.
- Manage client expectations, settle disputes, and maintain client alignment.
- Encourage creativity and develop new strategies for increasing productivity.
- Develop critical operational metrics, establish a metrics-based organization, and promote continuous improvement.
- Boost productivity while utilizing automation and innovation to scale and meet the needs of Facebook.
- Work with various business, research, and engineering departments to offer infrastructure and support for the client.
- BS in Computer Science, Engineering
- 5+ years of management and team-leading experience in an engineering organization.
- An understanding of how organizations are built or structured!
- Vendor experience with multiple technologies
- Extensive experience managing relationships within global organizations
- Ability to think strategically and solve problems analytically and creatively.
- Identify, utilize, and communicate service-level performance metrics.
Meta Engineering Manager Salary
The annual compensation for a Meta Engineering Manager is $184,016. At Meta, manager salaries can range from $34,819 to $310,000 annually.
The Interview Process for the Meta Engineering Manager
The interview process for the Meta Engineering Manager role consists of 3 stages:
- Recruiter Phone Screen Interview
- Hiring Manager Interview
- On-site Interview
Below is a detailed description of the interview process!
Recruiter's Phone Screen Interview Round
A phone interview with an HR recruiter will be the first step in your interview with Meta.
- Describe in detail your experience working with a person with a completely different personality.
- How did you handle a conflict while working on a team?
- Do you have experience leading a project in the past?
- Why do you think you are an excellent fit for this role?
Hiring Manager Interview Round
The first-round interview comes after your recruiter's call. Typically, you and your recruiting manager speak on the phone for 45 to 60 minutes. You can anticipate being questioned about your background and prior endeavors, some behavioral inquiries to determine whether you would fit in with Facebook's/ Meta's culture, and perhaps even a few technical queries.
- Have you ever faced problems or delayed meeting a stakeholder's deadlines or expectations? What was their reaction? How did you respond?
- Why Do You Want to Work Here?
- Elaborate on your effectiveness while working under pressure
On-site Interview Round
You will receive an invitation to complete the On-site interview round if your initial interview goes well. The primary challenge for Meta EM candidates is the on-site interview. You'll have 5-6 separate interviews during this interview cycle with various Meta interviewers, including:
- You will be evaluated for your capacity to manage teams and projects in one people management interview.
- You may be asked to delve further into one project retrospective interview you participated in.
- One interview will involve broad behavioral questions to determine whether you'll fit into Meta's culture.
- One or two system design interviews, where you'll need to demonstrate that you understand how to construct highly scalable systems and that you can do so.
- A single or two code interviews in which you will be expected to answer general coding questions associated with your position.
People Management Interview Sample Questions
- How do you oversee the professional development of your team?
- How do you manage difficult conversations?
- How do you handle underachieving employees?
- Tell me about a difficult employee situation that you took well/not so well.
- What would you do with a person who has remained stagnant for too long?
- How do you recruit sound engineers?
- In what ways do you manage projects?
- Describe a challenging circumstance where you showed leadership.
Project Retrospective Interview Sample Questions
- Please describe the project you worked on that was the most difficult technically and why it was difficult.
- What was your strategy for a software development project that you oversaw?
- Tell me about a system, product, or project you've worked on! What technical and design issues did you encounter? How were they resolved?
- Describe a project you've been working on in detail.
- Tell me about a specific project's high-level system design.
- Tell me about a time you scaled a system.
Behavioral Interview Sample Questions
- Describe a mistake you've made and the lesson you took away from it.
- Elaborate on the project you have been working on for the past year, please?
- Tell me about yourself
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- How do you explain technical project requirements to non-technical teams?
System Design Interview Sample Questions
- Create a real-time commenting system for a Facebook post that can have millions of active users.
- What changes might you make to the Facebook newsfeed?
- How would a load balancer be used with Memcache servers?
Coding Interview Sample Questions
- Given an array num of n integers where n > 1, return an array output such that output[i] is equal to the product of all the elements of nums except nums[i].
- Given a list of non-negative numbers and a target integer k, write a function to check if the array has a continuous subarray of size at least two that sums up to the multiple of k, that is, sums up to n*k where n is also an integer.