Interview Guide Nov 28
Nov 284 rounds
Detailed, specific guidance on the Hubspot Software Engineer interview process - with a breakdown of different stages and interview questions asked at each stage
HubSpot is a prominent player in the Customer Relationship Management (CRM) industry, renowned for its commitment to helping businesses thrive. They offer an array of software and support services tailored to facilitate growth. Their product suite encompasses marketing, sales, service, and website management tools, which are available for free and can be seamlessly scaled to meet the evolving needs of businesses at any stage of development.
Within HubSpot, Software Engineers play a pivotal role. They are responsible for conceptualizing designing, and constructing crucial infrastructure tooling. Their work involves engaging with highly distributed systems that harness the power of open-source technologies like HBase, Kafka, Spark, Memcached, MySQL, and ElasticSearch. The overarching objective is to empower HubSpot users with the capacity to efficiently store, automate, report on, and engage with their customers on a grand scale.
In terms of compensation, HubSpot Software Engineers earn an attractive average total compensation package of $154,242.
There are 4 rounds to the HubSpot Software Engineer Interview:
- Phone Screen with Recruiter
- Coding Assessment
- Behavioural Phone Interview
- Onsite Interview
Let's discuss each of these in detail:
This is your initial contact with HubSpot's recruitment team. This is your chance to demonstrate your enthusiasm for the company and the role you're applying for. Be prepared to discuss your background, experience, and motivations for joining HubSpot.
HubSpot's coding assessment is known for being practical and more enjoyable compared to traditional coding challenges. It's a 3-hour assessment where you'll likely encounter tasks related to real-world scenarios.
They want to assess your ability to work with data from URLs, which is essential for web-based applications. In particular, be prepared to demonstrate your ability to retrieve and send data to/from a URL.
Read these articles
This segment is all about your soft skills and how well you work in a team; be ready for "tell me about a time when..." questions, which require you to draw on your past experiences.
Highlight your teamwork skills, emphasising what you enjoy about collaborating with others and sharing anecdotes from your past teamwork experiences.
The onsite interview represents the final round of interviews for HubSpot software engineers. It typically consists of the following elements:
- Recruiter Chat: The onsite visit kicks off with a 15-minute chat with a recruiter. This serves as an opportunity to address any last-minute questions or concerns you might have before proceeding with the interviews. It's also a chance to ensure you have all the logistical details for the onsite visit.
- Director of Engineering Chat: Following the recruiter chat, you'll have a 15-minute conversation with a director of engineering. This part of the interview could provide valuable insights into HubSpot's engineering culture and leadership. It's an opportunity for you to gain a deeper understanding of what it's like to work in the engineering organisation at HubSpot.
- Technical Interviews: The core of the onsite round comprises two consecutive technical interviews, each lasting 45 minutes. These interviews are designed to assess your technical skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Behavioural Interview: In addition to technical assessments, you'll also face a behavioural interview. During this portion of the interview, you'll be asked about your past experiences working in teams. This interview assesses your interpersonal skills and teamwork abilities.
Here are 4 tips for the Hubspot Software Engineer onsite round:
- Remember, HubSpot tends to maintain consistent coding questions, so practising with previous interview questions can be helpful.
- Also, be ready for theoretical questions on a specific programming language, databases, design patterns, and potentially implementing binary tree traversal algorithms.
- For the behavioural round, be prepared to share specific examples of situations where you demonstrated effective collaboration or communication with cross-functional teams.
- Can you describe a challenging project where you worked in a team? What was your role, and how did you contribute to the team's success?
- Imagine you have a custom function called `addCommas()` that should insert commas between every letter of a string. How would you call this function with the input "hello"?
- Design a database system that can handle user profiles, friend connections, and post interactions similar to a social media platform like Facebook. Discuss the tables, relationships, and data storage considerations.
- Solve a coding problem involving an array. For example, given an array of integers, find the maximum subarray sum.
- Explain the concept of design patterns in software development. Can you provide an example of a commonly used design pattern and its benefits?
Following are the roles and responsibilities of a Hubspot Software Engineer:
- You'll play a crucial role in helping product and infrastructure teams identify and address issues through a blameless process, much like the 5 whys methodology.
- You'll be embedded within product and infrastructure teams, working closely with them to develop more reliable and scalable software.
- You'll be responsible for conceiving, designing, and building infrastructure tooling.
- You'll be expected to be well-versed with the best practices in reliability engineering to help establish a culture of reliability and resilience within the organisation.
- You'll work to identify potential risks and propose engineering processes, tooling, or work streams that reduce these risks in a customer-centric manner. The focus here is on delivering a reliable experience to customers.
Here are the skills and qualifications that a Hubspot Software Engineer must have:
- As a Senior Software Engineer, a strong foundation in JAVA is crucial. You need this to develop and maintain Hubspot's software solutions.
- Knowing your way around Kubernetes is crucial, but it's not just about configuration. You should have experience with programming within Kubernetes to effectively orchestrate infrastructure.
- A deep understanding of Linux systems internals and file systems is essential. You'll be dealing with them regularly, so being comfortable with these aspects is a must.
- Familiarity with AWS EC2 instances and their inner workings is crucial. You should be able to navigate and optimise EC2 resources effectively.
- Experience in designing and operating distributed systems and cloud infrastructure at scale is a significant advantage.
- Good teamwork and communication skills are a must.
- Having an interest or experience in implementing and iterating on processes to improve outcomes while minimising disruption to team culture is highly regarded.
- Being able to stakeholder relationships to drive positive change is a valuable skill.
What is the typical interview process for a Software Engineer role at HubSpot in the U.S.?
The interview process for a Software Engineer role at HubSpot often includes phone screens, technical interviews, and onsite or video interviews. The specific process may vary based on the position and team.
What qualifications and skills are typically required for a Software Engineer role at HubSpot?
What technical topics are commonly covered in HubSpot's Software Engineer interviews?
Expect questions related to data structures, algorithms, coding, software design principles, and your ability to solve technical challenges.
Is there a coding or programming component in the Software Engineer interview process?
Yes, you may be asked to write and explain code during technical interviews, solve coding problems, and discuss your approach to software development.
How can I prepare for the technical interviews in the HubSpot Software Engineer interview process?
Review data structures and algorithms, practice coding problems on platforms like LeetCode or HackerRank, and be ready to discuss your past software engineering projects.
Are there behavioral or situational interview questions in the process?
HubSpot may ask behavioral questions to assess how you work in a team, communicate effectively, and handle software development challenges.