Interview DifficultymoderateRounds2-3 Interview Rounds
DoorDash is the leading American online food order and delivery company. The platform allows customers to connect with local and national food delivery businesses. With its dedication to building new products to improve the last-mile delivery infrastructure, DoorDash requires experienced and innovative engineers.
The engineering managers are responsible for building the backend systems to create thoughtful and well-designed products. Furthermore, they must work on data structuring and algorithms, which is essential for a food delivery company like DoorDash. If you are good with coding and leadership and have a complete insight into the technical aspects of systems, the engineering managerial role at DoorDash is for you.
Engineering managers are expected to get involved entirely in the role of executive project and lead the team to complete it. DoorDash invests heavily in the process of training new managers for long-term success. For each new engineering manager, they have an onboarding plan that allows them to notch up technically and understand their responsibilities skillfully.
There are thousands of candidates applying for the engineering manager role at DoorDash. However, getting into the role is quite challenging, so having a 360-degree strategy can help you pass through the DoorDash engineering manager interview.
- Examine and develop backend architecture and tech products for the company
- Improving the performance and scalability of the backend system
- Managing the engineering team and mobilizing to work on the required project
- Carry a strong product sense and oversee the engineering team
- Look at the flagship subscription product- DashPass.
- Strategize and develop subscriber experience using the product
- Recruiting and training software engineers
- You will be responsible to lead a full-stack team
- Partnering with key stakeholders to develop a clear ecosystem of products
You need to present your technical and behavioral skills to apply for the job. Remember your CV is a document that will create the first impression and allow you to advance to the next interview stages hence, ensure that it is crisp, to the point, and contains all keywords required for the job. You can opt for Prepfully's resume review service to get it reviewed by an expert recruiter at DoorDash.
Get your resume reviewed by an expert to increase your chances of getting the interview call.→ Schedule Now!
For the role of engineering manager at DoorDash, the candidate will undergo three rounds of interviews-
1) Telephonic Interview
It is also a non-technical process by a senior manager. Here you can expect questions on Behavioral skills and resume-related information. This will allow the manager to know your communication skills.
2) Video Call Process
It is a technical round and can be for 1 hour 45 minutes, wherein you will be examined about your technical expertise and team building assessments.
3) On Site
This round will majorly focus on system design, coding, and other technical areas.
The 2nd and 3rd rounds can be merged into a single round depending upon your team and the team's hiring manager's decision.
The telephonic interview is done to view your personal and professional background. The senior manager would often check your technical expertise or behavioral inclination. The interviewer will also include management experience questions.
The sample interview questions are-
- Brief me about your work experience and expertise
- Why DoorDash for this role?
- What role do you know an engineering manager needs to perform?
- Tell us when you had to take a risk on a project.
- How will you manage your team's performance?
- Tell us how you managed to overcome the situation wherein you had to take a tough decision regarding the project while under pressure.
If the candidate is located in an outstation location, interviewers prefer video calls. This round is also about stating your knowledge of coding. The interviewer will ask you to add or change features in the already-built application. The interviewer will also examine your proficiency in a coding programming language, with a significant focus on strings, edge cases, and arrays.
The sample interview questions are-
- Write a program to complete the partially filled (9x9) Sudoku
- For a given N number of elements, write a program for counting the number of triplets that have a sum less than the given value.
- Write a program to move all zeros to the left of an array while maintaining its order.
- Write a program to return the type of a triangle based on the length value of the three of a triangle. Assumption- test for the input data type is already in place. You get only numeric values.
- Write a query using SQL that returns a list of the bottom 2% of revenue-generating restaurants. Return a list of restaurant IDs and their total revenue from when customers placed orders over a specified period.
The final round of DoorDash engineering manager interviews. This round will examine your skills in system design, programming language skills, data structuring, and other technical areas.
Some sample interview questions are-
- How would you design TikTok?
- How would you design an app for takeaway orders?
- What do you understand about Greedy Algorithms?
- What do you understand about the space complexity of the insertion sort algorithm?
- Write an algorithm to insert a node in a Binary Search Tree.
- Which Data Structures can be used for implementing LRU cache?
Schedule a mock interview with a DoorDash recruiter and increase your chances of cracking the interview.→ Schedule Now
One simple measure to answer technical and behavioral round questions is to understand the job role. Once you are aware, get down with potential questions to be asked. One great way is to have strong experience in programming and analytical skills. Other than these-
- Strong experience in using SQL to build complex tool
- Strong experience in using advanced Excel
- Strong analytical concepts in database structure, scripting languages, and BI Tools (Power BI, Tableau, and others)
- Use a communicative approach when demonstrating your collaborative abilities when solving challenges. When responding to questions about coding in a DoorDash engineering manager interview, you can outline important decision-making processes for the interviewer.
- Spend some time considering the interview question to come up with a logical response. If you do not communicate the problem to the interviewer, you risk missing edge cases. DoorDash also generates some ambiguous questions with some specific limitations that aren't mentioned in the question description.
Get yourself clear with the list of possible questions during the DoorDash engineering manager interview. As a manager, you must have excellent communication skills to get the role. Interviewers will evaluate it by seeing how you communicate the issues resolved and the circumstances you have encountered. They also pay close attention to how candidates talk about past choices.
One of the best ways to prepare for the interview is by undergoing the mock interview process, available on the Prepfully website.