Interview Guide May 02
May 023 rounds
The role of a Roblox Data Scientist is critical in supporting the mission of the Data Science & Analytics organization, which is to increase the speed, frequency, and accuracy of decision-making through a data-driven approach to product development. Data Scientists at Roblox use a wide range of data analysis techniques, including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling, and machine learning, to uncover new opportunities, inform product roadmaps, and measure the impact on the platform's community of players and developers.
Working closely with product verticals, Data Scientists at Roblox use their extensive toolkit to discover new use cases, influence product development, and build data products. They play a key role in shaping the future of the platform through data-driven decision-making and delivering impactful solutions that drive growth and improve the user experience. By utilizing their technical and analytical skills, Roblox Data Scientists are a crucial part of the platform's success.
Data Scientists at Roblox work across a variety of domains like Economics, App Experience, Creator Content and Trust & Safety. In the domain of economics, they analyze data related to monetization and player behavior to inform revenue growth strategies. In the area of app experience, they use data to understand player engagement and make improvements to the overall user experience. In the realm of Creator Content, they help optimize the platform's content creation tools and processes. Additionally, they also work in the domain of Trust and Safety to ensure that the platform remains safe and secure for all users. By using data and analytical insights in these different domains, Roblox Data Scientists play a vital role in shaping the future of the gaming platform.
Roblox hires Data Scientists across the company and there are different seniority levels depending on the scope and expected impact. They have Entry, Senior, Lead and Principal level roles and some openings for Data Science Managers and ML Engineers.
Note that the availability of positions may change over time and vary by location. It's best to check the Roblox Careers website for the latest and most up-to-date information.
How to Apply for a Data Scientist Job at Roblox?
Take a look at Roblox’s website and visit their careers page. You'll find plenty of opportunities available, and you can easily apply to roles directly on the site. However, we would highly recommend taking the referral route if you know someone in the company as it increases your chances significantly. Before you hit the apply button, make sure you read the job requirements thoroughly. Nothing's more frustrating than getting caught off guard during an interview. If you want to increase your chances even more, tailor your resume to align it with the qualifications and experiences listed in the job posting. It'll make you stand out from the rest. If you're not sure how to do that, Prepfully offers a resume review service, where actual recruiters will give you feedback on your resume.
As a part of the Roblox Data Scientist interview, you will need to go through multiple interview rounds:
1. Recruiter Screen - In the initial screening stage, the recruiter will ask general questions about your background and provide an overview of the interview process. This screening is then followed by another phone screening with a Hiring Manager.
2. The second round consists of multiple interview rounds. Overall, the goal is to assess the candidate's technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and to determine if they would be a good fit for the team and the company's culture.
3. The final round of the interview process at Roblox involves an onsite interview. This interview is focused on evaluating the candidate's behavior and past experiences.
Get a mock interview with a recruiter at Roblox→ Schedule Now
Check out video guide that delves into the interview process and provides valuable tips tailored to each round of the interview.
This stage is divided into two rounds - a phone screening with a recruiter followed by a phone screening with a hiring manager.
- Phone Screening with Recruiter: During this round, the recruiter will go through your resume and ask questions about your previous experience in data science. You will also be asked to discuss one of your previous projects and your role in it. The recruiter will be looking to get a general understanding of your background, skills, and experience.
- Phone Screening with Hiring Manager: This phone screening will be an opportunity for the hiring manager to get more details about your background and to introduce you to the team and position details. The hiring manager will ask questions about your experience and qualifications, and how they relate to the role of a Data Scientist at Roblox.
- Why do you want to join Roblox?
- Why do you think you will be a good fit for the role?
- What responsibilities do you expect to have from your job at Roblox?
- Describe a previous project of your choice, frame and solve a problem given a scenario.
- What makes you the best candidate for this position?
The second round consists of multiple interview rounds. Some of the rounds you can expect to face are
- Coding Challenge: This round is a coding challenge that tests the candidate's SQL skills. It includes multiple-choice questions and requires the candidate to write SQL code to solve problems. This challenge helps assess the candidate's knowledge of SQL and their ability to write code to extract data and perform analysis.
- ML Interview: This round is an ML interview which is focused on the candidate's knowledge of machine learning. Some candidates reported being asked product case questions to test their ability to apply machine learning techniques to real-world problems.
- Online Assessment Games: This round is a series of online assessment games that test the candidate's cognitive abilities. There are typically two or three games. For instance, selecting infected animals or building cars to reach the destination through multiple barriers. These games help assess the candidate's problem-solving skills, ability to think creatively, and ability to work under pressure.
Please note that these are just some of the examples of the rounds you could face. However, the rounds can be different for different roles and positions.
- Write a SQL query to find the total number of users who have played Roblox in the last 30 days.
- Write a SQL query to find the average playtime for each game in Roblox.
- Write a SQL query to find the total number of purchases made in the last 90 days.
- Write a SQL query to find the top 5 games in Roblox based on the number of players.
- What are the most interesting machine learning problems you've encountered and how did you solve them?
- Can you discuss your experience with product case questions and how you approached them?
- What is your experience with building predictive models, and what approaches do you use to assess model performance?
- How do you decide when to use a supervised or unsupervised learning algorithm, and can you provide an example of each?
- Can you explain the process you used to select infected animals in the game?
- How did you approach building cars to reach the destination through multiple barriers in the game?
- Can you discuss any strategies you used to optimize your performance in the online games?
- How do you think these online games reflect your problem-solving skills and decision-making abilities?
Read these articles
The final round of the interview process at Roblox involves an onsite interview. This interview is focused on evaluating the candidate's behavior and past experiences. This is an opportunity for the interviewer to get a more in-depth understanding of the candidate's personality, work style, and how they approach problem-solving. The interviewer may ask questions about the candidate's previous work experiences, leadership skills, and how they have dealt with challenging situations in the past. This round is critical in determining the candidate's fit with the company culture and whether they have the skills and experience necessary to excel in the role.
- Can you share a situation where you had to work with a team to solve a complex problem?
- Can you walk me through a difficult decision you had to make in your previous role and how you arrived at the solution?
- Can you give an example of a time when you had to handle multiple competing priorities?
- Can you describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult colleague and how you managed the situation?
- Can you tell me about a project you lead and the challenges you faced during the process?
When you are preparing for a Roblox Data Science interview - we’d recommend the following things to keep in mind:
- Make sure you have a strong understanding of your background, skills, and experience in data science.
- Come up with a list of questions you have about the team and the position you are interviewing for.
- Brush up on your SQL skills and be prepared to write code to extract data and perform analysis.
- Prepare to discuss product case questions and your approach to solving them.
- Be familiar with supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, and be able to provide examples of each.
- Prepare to discuss your approach to the online games, including any strategies you used to optimize your performance.
Responsibilities of a Data Scientist at Roblox
The responsibilities of a data scientist at Roblox across roles can broadly be seen as-
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with product and technical leaders to provide insights that enhance growth
- Access raw data, and then transform it, analyze it, and render it in a compelling way – all using a custom analytics tool kit built from state-of-the-art open-source libraries
- Develop modeling solutions to identify new behaviors and signals of malicious user behavior. For example, a Data Scientist at Roblox will build machine learning models to detect patterns of behavior that are indicative of account hacking or cyberbullying.
- Influence how Roblox provides a better experience for the community of players and developers. For instance, you will analyze data on player engagement and behavior to understand what features and functions players use most frequently.
- Build dashboards to understand the root causes of changes in metrics. For example, you will build a dashboard to track daily active users, which could help product teams understand why user engagement is declining or growing.
- Evaluate A/B experiments to determine the success of product feature launches.
Skills and Qualifications needed for Data Scientists at Roblox
Here are some skills and qualifications that will help you excel in your Data Science interviews at Roblox. One thing to note here is that the degree qualification is different for every role.
- It's beneficial to have at least 5+ years of experience in Data Science roles, which can help you stand out from other candidates. From what we’ve seen - candidates with less than 5 years of experience often struggle - even to get interview calls; let alone the interview loop.
- Brush up on your skills in one or more scripting languages, such as SQL, Python, or R, as they are essential for data manipulation and analysis.
- Experience working with platforms that host user-generated content, as this will be helpful in understanding how to work with and analyze data generated by Roblox's users.
- Familiarize yourself with big data query and processing languages, such as Hive, Spark, and Airflow, as they will be crucial in working with large datasets at Roblox.
- Develop strong communication skills, particularly in explaining complex analytics results, model outputs, and data storytelling, as you will need to influence product teams and leaders to make informed decisions.
- Experience in exploratory data analysis, data analysis to inform product design decisions, statistical analysis and testing, and machine learning model development, as these skills will be critical in making data-driven decisions at Roblox.
The salary range for a Data Scientist at Roblox would depend on several factors such as the person's experience, location, and the specific role they are hired for. However, the average salary for a Data Scientist at Roblox is approximately $130,000 to $160,000 per year, with top earners making over $180,000 per year. Keep in mind that these figures are just rough estimates and the actual salary could be higher or lower based on the specific factors mentioned earlier.
The interview process for a Data Scientist role at Roblox typically includes 3 primary rounds - a recruiter screen, second round of interviews, and the final onsite interview. In the initial screening stage, the recruiter will ask general questions about your background and provide an overview of the interview process. This screening is then followed by another phone screening with a Hiring Manager. The second round consists of multiple interview rounds. Overall, the goal is to assess the candidate's technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and to determine if they would be a good fit for the team and the company's culture. The final primary round of the interview process at Roblox involves an onsite interview. This interview is focused on evaluating the candidate's behavior and past experiences.